02 February 2011

Mango Achar

My friend Hanna has a really cool maid who taught her how to make this amazing Mauritian Achar. This inspired me to try and make some of my own, as the recipe is Mango based and because I still have tons of Mangoes to be creative with.

I did modify the ingredients slightly to suite my taste. The Mautitians love their chilli and put double the amount of chilli in theirs, but I am not quite as brave (yet). If you like yours spicier add more chilli or leave the pips in.















MANGO ACHAR


3 large green mangoes (they must be green and not ripe)
3 green chillies - deseased
6 dried red chillies
2 tbsp sugar
125ml olive oil
50ml lemon juice
2 garlic cloves - grated
1 tbsp mustard seeds
2 tbsp dijon mustard
1 tbsp corriander
1 tsp black pepper
salt to taste

Peel the mangoes and then grate them. Mix the spices, sugar, oil and lemon juice together in a blender till fine. Pour the spice mixture over the grated mangoes and mix well. Put into clean container. You can eat it straight away, but it gets much better when you leave it for a few days.

Makes 1 jar (about 400ml).
Keeps well in the fridge.

This achar is very very good and not oily like the ones you buy in the shop. It has a great fresh taste and goes well with everything. My guine pigs love this one!

No comments:

Post a Comment